Monday 19 March 2007

The first step out of the door is the hardest

Yesterday I ran again.

After a half marathon in October 2006 I hung up my trainers for a little while. I got married, I went on honeymoon and ate Scotland! Then Christmas happened, and I think I ate Christmas too! I did manage a small run with DH over the Christmas break.

I entered, and ran, a 10K in Battersea park in February. I ran it in my usual time. I was perplexed. At the end of the Battersea run, some irresponsible park users decided to let their dog wander in front of me, and I sprained my right knee in the process of trying to avoid it. I rested completely for a good week and it managed to heal ok. It still grumbles occasionally and for that reason I have been putting off the next run.

Yesterday was the day I took to the pavements again. I ran/walked a mighty 2 miles and it felt good. My knee managed it without support and my lungs managed ok when I remembered my odd/even footfall breaths.

So with that exceedingly small victory, today I have signed up for the ING Amsterdam marathon on the 21st October. Only 215 days, 21 hours and 37 minutes and counting.

Next thing is to join the running club type thing at Sweatshop on Wednesday. Thing after that is to buy some miadidas running shoes, specially fitted at Harrods Sweatshop. Thing after that is to go and run!

No comments: