Thursday 22 March 2007

Marathons are fun... Marathons are fun...

Helen said so!

Soooo last night was interesting. I joined the casual running group at Sweatshop North Finchley. I decided on the 6K run, since I thought 10k was a bit ambitious after only 1 mile of running! So there were 5 of us, 2 ladies who knew each other, one of whom was a group leader, then me and DH and this really tall athletic looking lad who just scared the bejesus outta me right away because he looked so buff and scary and athletic. Then another of the running staff was telling about his Welsh half marathon and said he completed it in 1 hour 20minutes. I could've walked out of the door right there! My half marathon time is TWICE that. Heh!

So we set off together and soon the 2 ladies left us, and DH decided to run off at his own pace and was running with them the whole way. I was at the back with Mr Long Legs, which was cool because he was just having a really easy jog and I was feeling well out of condition. He was trying to talk to me and I hate talking and running, it really messes up my breathing. But he did say that I'll be surprised how quickly the running skills come back. I feel like I did ok with the run, I completed it in 45 minutes, which is probably about right, if not a little slower than usual. There were HILLS! I didn't really realise how hilly our place is - I usually run on the flat bits! I took a few walking breaks but by the end my brain was together and I ran from the bottom of a short steep hill all the way back to the shop.

I got back and was sweating like a pig and was bright red, but it was all good. I felt like I pushed myself enough. I feel like I pushed harder than if I'd been out running alone. I did also have quite a problem with acid reflux for most of the run - I think ricotta cheesefake was a bad idea. I'll remember for next time!

I made apple and brie calzone when we got back and I'm still feeling a little queasy this morning. Blah! No breakfast for me!

Oh and by DH's reaction last night and this morning, you'd think we ran a marathon! LOL He said that when he got to the last few hundred meters he simply couldn't run any more and had to walk, even though they'd taken walk breaks all the way through the run. I must have more slow-twitch than him! This morning he looks pale and stayed in bed while I fed him breakfast, I literally had to prise him out of bed so that we could get to work!

No comments: